Tuesday 3 May 2016

Vacuum Sealing Without Using a Vacuum Sealer

Hubby has been asking me to bulk shop for meats and freeze them, as I am starting to cook more nowadays. He feels it's a waste of time to go to the market every day, when I should go once or twice a week, to make more efficient use of my time.

Point taken.

Today we went to the wet market and bought 3 kg of pork, 6 chicken legs (drum + thigh), a dollar worth of chicken gizzards and half a kilo of fresh prawns. As I was preparing to pack the food... I was thinking how great if I had a lot of freezermate, which isn't really that practical monetary wise. Suddenly I recalled a life hack I saw on FB some time ago - to vacuum seal without using a vacuum sealer.

Must try it out. So armed with a container of water and ziploc bags, I tried out the life hack and ZOMG it worked... not exactly 100% vacuum sealed like with a machine but good enough. A cheaper and yet efficient method.

Put the meat in the ziploc bag, close till there is a 1"-2" gap. Place the ziploc bag into the container of water, and close properly. Make sure water doesn't get into the bag.

Vacuum sealed chicken legs.

Vacuum sealed minced pork.

Vacuum sealed chicken gizzards.

All packed and ready to be frozen. :)

2 comments:

  1. I think many people in the kitchen need a professional food vacuum sealer, because it will make your food stay fresh, so your body more healthy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shield N Seal Vacuum Seal Bags, Rolls, Vacuum Sealers are best for food storage, hydroponic gardening, & survival prepping. BPA free plastic is food safe.
    read more

    ReplyDelete